Sunday, March 8, 2009

...and If You Have Trouble The Warranty Says, "Breathe In. Breathe Out. Move On."





According to Websters...

let– verb

1.

to allow or permit



go– verb 

1.

to move or proceed, esp. to or from something:


Therefore, in essence, to let go would be to allow or permit [someone] to proceed to [a goal].

During the course of my life I have always considered myself an expert at letting go. After all, I've moved about seven times. However, today I have found myself facing something that I'm having trouble letting go of. As life is changing so rapidly right now, I'm having trouble letting go of people that have meant so much to me for so long. I think my greatest fear has been fueled by the misconception that to let go and to lose are synonymous. To me, to lose means the same as to fail. I think I have just realized that I couldn't have been further from the truth. 

Growing up, when my family would move from one place to another, letting go was simple- necessary even. It's not hard to let go when there are no other options. Now, I am learning that I apparently know nothing about the art of letting go. I now realize how all the friends from my past would feel as I broke the news of my impending relocation and then left them behind. This feeling sucks.

I also realized that while I have been refusing to let go, I have only been inhibiting myself. People grow up, and as we do, we move on. Although this is nowhere near easy, it's necessary. "According to my watch the time is now, the past is dead and gone. Don't try to explain it, just bow your head. Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on." -Jimmy Buffett

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kristopher!! This is werid that you wrote something like this bc I can so relate to it. This is one of the hardest things to have to do in life, is let that close friend go, especially when they hav been your friend since kindergarden. But I wouldnt look at it like a failure bc people change and peoples lives change. If you can honestly say you have done your part to tha fullest to make it work, then thats all you can do. We just have to learn to accept them and their decision to move on, nothing esle you can do. Thanks for being a great friend to me, I dont know what im going to do when you go to University of Alabama. Thanks for putting up with me and my crap all the time.

    ReplyDelete